Okay, so for the foreword, I'll be code switching. I dunno, code switching helps me to explain things better.
So, you guys might think what's an "Amalayer"? I'm pretty sure that my fellow Filipinos already knows about this. "Amalayer" is actually a exaggerated word for the phrase "I'm a liar." So what's so bad about it? To be honest, nothing. It's just that this girl who was caught on cam exploding on the lady guard with her poor English, is now the laughing stock of the whole country.
What's the story behind this messy halibaloo then? Well, it's quite nice for some people who actually would delve first into the back story before posting rude comments about it in the netsphere.
So what really happened? Well, I dunno the real story but I tried to look for the whole picture. I got a few people re-telling the whole story but, hmm, it sounded suspicious and even kind of bias to the point I just have to drop it. Well anyways, I still only got the jist and I think that's all I ever know. Unless some miracle would happen and I would get to talk to the leading lady of this amalayer incident.
It happened that this girl, Jaime (Haha, first name basis. Okay, we're not close.) Well from the looks of it she's having a bad day or even probably PMS-ing on the faithful time. So let's say Jaime Salvosa, was in the station, rush hour and she either intentionally or un-intentionally pushed the lady guard who is in-charge of the inspection. And so, the tragedy happened. The lady guard, maybe insulted or just plain rudely shouted (not sure) at her "Miss ano ba problema niyo?" (Translation: Miss what the heck is your problem?) and I'm guessing that's where Miss Jaime Salvosa exploded. The part of their cat fight that I'm familiar about it the time where Jaime is shaming the lady guard on public without any second thoughts. Shouting here and there with her poor English accent. What's worst? She was caught on cam without her knowing and now it's a viral hit here in the Philippines. She's now dubbed as the "Rude Bitch," and of course the most famous name, the "AMALAYER" (yep, in all caps.)
To be honest, when I first watched the vid, I couldn't help laughing and you know, criticizing her. And then it hit me. As in really hit me. "What the hell am I doing? Why am I laughing at this crap?" I felt guilty about it. But I'm not going to come out clean, saying it's not funny. Soon enough, my time line and news feed are flooded with all sorts of ridiculous posts and pictures featuring "AMALAYER." I feel disgusted and somewhat really bummed about it. I hate seeing comments about the vid, people posting their opinion on how rude the girl was. I mean c'mon. Give the poor girl some space. Every second, every minute, I freaking bet that people are posting and tweeting about the "AMALAYER."
You know what irks me the most? People being freakishly BIG HYPOCRITES. When a certain anti-bullying ad is launched into the netsphere, a lot of people support that by liking it, sharing it, or posting and tweeting about it. But seriously? What's happening now? Isn't the AMALAYER incident exactly the same thing? It's cyber-bullying. Something we are so against of. And now with the real situation in the picture, we make fun of it? Wow, so that's how we deal with those things. I swear, when I see another anti-bullying ad being shared on Facebook, I'll ask them if they made fun of the AMALAYER incident and I will rub it on their face for being such a hypocrite.
And I don't get it why Filipinos now are English grammar nazis or even English accent nazis (if there is one). C'mon, English is NOT our mother language. For the record it's FILIPINO. Ever heard of that? I for one could attest to this. I'm so not freaking good with English. Even though I was brought up in an English-speaking environment I still commit grammatical errors. And I always will. Even goes to Filipino, I'm not exactly the chip of the old block when it comes to that. Honestly, I'm more bad at it than speaking in English. I suck at Filipino because I never even got the chance to hone it. Why? Because, we Filipinos value more the English language. We are somehow (sorry, for the word) Western wannabes. It's not our fault why we think like that, it's our colonizers ideology that sets us. But still, this doesn't give us the right to practically diss someone for speaking "Poor English." We never know what TRUE English is, unless we are practically WESTERN. Because, THEIR TONGUE IS DESIGNED TO SPEAK LIKE THAT. K? And, and oh goodness, can you guys even talk in Full Filipino without using English words at all? Or could you actually read and understand pure TAGALOG without the use of any dictionary? YES? Good for you. NO? Too bad and shame on you.
Well that's practically it. I'm really against bullying. Any kind or whatever form. It's just isn't right.
Looks, like I didn't code switch after all. Oh. Looks like I'm getting a swag with my English as well haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment