Tuesday, 15 December 2015

Sawasdee, Thailand!


Sawasdee is Thailand's version of Mabuhay. Last July, we went to Bangkok to visit my sister, who had her OJT there. I wasn't supposed to go because my classes had already started. But of course, I didn't let the opportunity slip out from my fingers. We took Thai airways, and their food was definitely better than PAL's.

Day 01: Authentic Thai food, Train Transit, and Calypso Cabaret

We stayed at Manhattan Hotel in the Sukhumvit area, which is a few stations away from the main shopping district: Chitlom and Siam. It wasn't difficult to travel back and forth, because public transport comes easy in Bangkok. The city's climate is very humid, and walking for a few miles is already exhausting. But the upside, no matter how humid the weather is, it does not feel like its burning your epidermis off.


#OOTD (just kidding)
 Looking fresh but actually very sweaty, ew
For our first day, we checked the nearby shopping districts within our area. Since it was already past lunch time and we're all excited to eat authentic Thai food, we dropped by Terminal 21 mall, as recommended by the hotel concierge.

One of their restaurants in the top most floor offers a fusion of Thai food and Japanese food. But they also serve amazing authentic Thai dishes, that does not disappoint.

Not so spicy dumplings
(I love this so much)

Roast duck salad with Green apples
(Soooo goood, omg)
Salad Chicken Stew

Spicy Jellyfish salad

Fried Spring Rolls

Roti bread-served with the roast duck curry

Of course, the Tom Yum soup! 

Steamed Sea Bass
Duck Curry
(fave!!!! Why cant I live in Bangkok??)
I really didn't spend any time to achieve the the perf "food blogger" shots, because I was more concerned about my growling stomach! Haha! As soon as the food was served, we immediately dug in. Every dish tasted sooo good, and I'm actually craving for one right now, huhu.

Train Transit

When our tummies are filled and we are content, we proceeded to go to Siam and Chitlom via train transit. One of the things that I marvelled about their train station is how organized it is. Their ticketing booths are very systematic and fast. There were also automatic barriers that separates the loading dock, which only opens when the train's door opens. I also love the fact that they bridged (overpass) the neighboring stations together, so you wouldn't have to take the streets when you want to switch.



Calypso

By 5:00, we have to go back to our hotel since we were set to leave for Calypso Cabaret. At first, I thought it was just the normal cabaret that they usually show in Las Vegas, but I was surprised (and thrilled) to find out that the performers were "lady boys". My two brothers who were with me, do not know what to feel about the surprise, hahaha! But we enjoyed the performance nonetheless, because the performers were really talented and goddamn beautiful.



She looked just like Beyonce, swear.

Lady Gaga's sound of music


Traditional Dance about a Thai Epic

The stage before the performance






After the show, we walked around the around the area and bought some goodies. The Calypso is located in plaza, with lots of stalls to choose from.

Day 02: Temple and Grand Palace tour

This is the day where our trip get really educational and culture-centric. We visited 3 major temples in Bangkok. We left around 9 am since the tour was just in the area. The tour van that we got was reserved for my family, so it was like a private tour hehe.

Tri-Mit 

For our first destination, we visited Tri-mit temple. This is were the "Golden Buddha" is housed. It is also believed that this Buddha is one of the oldest and one of the most priceless buddhas they have, since it is made only with pure gold.



Golden Buddha

Door details

Door details
Another temple in Tri-mit 
The monk was tying a rope bracelet blessed with water.
It was a symbol of wisdom and protection 
Wat Pho


The second temple we visited was the Wat Pho. It housed the Reclining or Lying Buddha. It also housed the traditional art school of Thai massage, the standing buddha, and the buddha that was believed to be given by the gods themselves. The whole area is really vast and it also has different temples.


Reclining Buddha


Massage school





Standing Buddha

Imperial Palace

It was rare in Bangkok to rain, but by the time we got there, the sky was gloomy. There was a storm happening at the south of Thailand. Due to the sudden change of weather and exhaustion, I had massive headache. That's why I took only a few photos of the Imperial Palace.






Mythical Creature (sort of like Sarimanok)




Day 03: Floating Market, Elephant Ride, and Elephant Show

We woke up at around 5am to join in the tour going to the Floating Market. After that we had our lunch in the restaurant in the Zoo compound where we watched the Croc wrestling and the elephant show. Then to end the day, we participated in an Elephant ride!

Damnernsaduak












Elephant Show 

After lunch, we explored the zoo. We watch the Croc wrestling, and it was really lame. But we absolutely enjoyed the elephant show that told the story of how Thailand came to be.

Cutie

I'm being hugged by elephants! 



Elephant ride (Chang Puak)





That's pretty much what transpired in our trip. The next day was reserved for the last minute shopping and the preparation to go back home.

Thailand was very beautiful. Hopefully when I come back again, I would be able to explore its provinces to see its culture since Bangkok is modernized already.

Until my next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment