Tuesday, 30 September 2014

Konnichiwa, Japan!

Last May 2014, we went to Japan for our annual International trip. It's not exactly my first time visiting Japan, but it is my first time to finally explore it! In preparation, we booked a flight to Osaka, since it is relatively cheaper compared to Tokyo. Of course, we didn't spend the whole stay in Osaka solely, instead we applied for a JR pass. It is Japan's bullet train "passport" to take us to other provinces. But mind you, the JR pass is NOT cheap.

Recently, I found out there were two types of JR passes that Japan offers. One is a called a day pass, where in you just use it for a day and there are limited destinations you can use it for (something like that. But you get the idea). The other one is a like a VIP pass which is basically like the all-around access pass. You can also use this when riding specific trains. Both of these passes requires a bit of moolah, whilst the former is cheaper than the latter.

But if you're the type who doesn't really want to cash out a lot of money, but you also want to travel via bullet train, I suggest you take the day pass. To compare it to an airplane, day pass is like the economy class, while the VIP, of course, is the business class.

JR Pass
The Metro 

During our stay, we never hired a cab, a tourist bus or whatever. We just went out of our way and explored Japan on our own. So wandering around on a foreign country without knowing their language? Not really advisable, but it's hella lot of fun!

Before the trip, we researched the train routes so that we won't get lost. We agreed that we're not going to hire a car or cab when we arrived at Japan and we can just manage on our own how to get to the hotel. But unfortunately, we still got lost. But since Japan's known for their amazing public transit system, we quickly got out of our pickle.



We usually just use the train for transportation since they have signs in English and it's very effective. Imagine you're just like riding the MRT or LRT here in the Philippines, not only because the carriages looks exactly alike (well, our carriages are from Japan), but how train system is almost the same with ours, but more organised and well-constructed.


Shinkansen (Bullet Train) 

As I explained before, the Shinkansen is like an airplane but for the ground (?). It has an economy class and business class.

  Shin-Osaka Station


Shinkansen


Inside Shinkansen. It's actually pretty spacious.


Osaka

For our first day, we immediately checked out the shopping lane called Shinsaibashi. It's a huge stretch of road filled with stalls and boutiques. It kind of reminds me of Myeongdong in Seoul and the underground shopping center near Lotte Mall.

Sweater Weather! Ready to conquer Osaka!


They have their own Lolita Shop! Ahhh! 





It was raining during our stay. Even though it's quite annoying, the breeze still feels nice.

DAISO IS A MASSIVE BUILDING IN JAPAN!


For dinner, we ate at this Ramen place a few blocks away from our joint. If you guys watch anime, you probably know what a ramen place looks like haha. Anyways, it looks exactly like that and good gracious their food is probably one of the best things I've ever tasted. No wonder it's Naruto's favorite food. Though, it's a little pricey I must admit. One bowl is around Php 550. But that's okay since you eat for experience (and hunger). I recommend that when you travel, you dine out in small establishments so that you can experience their culture through their food. And it's so much better than scarfing down on Mcdonalds.

One of the best Japanese fast food chains that I can recommend is Yoshinoya. It's like the japanese Jollibee, but better! Authentic Jap food and it's quite cheap--- well, ish. I don't think there's anything "cheap" in Japan hahaha.

Bento and Ramen Stalls


For the next day we visited Universal Studios! So sad that Hogwarts was not yet opened during that time. But the castle was already built and stuff. As usual, we siblings geeked out when we saw the rides. Our last Universal Studios was in Singapore and it was pretty upsetting, since it lacked almost all the rides we love from the US.  Back to Japan's Universal Studios, everything was wonderful until we realized that ALL rides are in Japanese! There was no English translation available, so I guess that was the downside of our trip.

But the unique thing about Universal Studios Japan is that, they have their very own Sanrio and Snoopy section!



Next time, Harry. Next time. 



Recommended ride! Super fun, I swear Hahaha!
Can you see Spidey hanging from his web?

Family Picture with the sibbies, Mum, and Tita


Hello Kitty Galore!

So much PINK, I can't even.
Sesame Street World, y'all.



This was the lamest ride we had here. -________-
Obligatory Sibling Picture. I'm the Ate yet I'm the smallest. Sad life :(

Tan tan tan taratan tannnn! 
After the Jurassic Ride! Dino hat says rawwwr!
Tokyo

I was feeling a little bit under the weather when we went to Tokyo that's why I only have a few pictures. Not sure if it was the taxing ride, or if it was because of the bipolar weather hahaha. Imagine we travelled for almost four hours (or more I think) to Tokyo.

Since we're in Tokyo, we visited the Disneyworld! Yay! I was literally screaming for joy, because I am forever a Disney baby. Unfortunately, we can only stay in Tokyo for a whole day since we weren't able to book for a hotel to stay in. So our time to spend in Disneyworld was cut short. (And weren't able to fully explore Tokyo! I'll see Harajuku and Shibuya next time!) We were only able to explore Disney Sea and Disneyland was like an uncharted territory!

Disneyworld is massive! You need a train to travel the whole theme park.

Disney Metro that takes you anywhere on Disneyworld

From the inside of the train. Everything is so cute!

Disney Hotel (?) 
UNDER THE SEAAAA



MT. FUJI!
 Kyoto

For our last day, we went to Kyoto. It only took us almost 30 minutes since the provinces are literally just beside each other.

We visited some temples, but the imperial palace was closed since they have some sort of festival later that day (super malas haha). One of the temples we visited is the Toji temple.

I can honestly say that Kyoto is the most "traditional" of all the places that I've been to. I can see women wearing yukatas and kimonos walking around on the streets! It was so beautiful, I cri.







Kind and cutie Obaasan lets me pet her fluffy dog! 
The Japanese are very, very, very friendly people! They're willing to help you out even if they're busy. But the thing is, most of them don't know how to speak in English so it's quite difficult when it comes to communication. So better equip yourselves with a few basic Japanese sentences or familiarize yourself with their language, since it'll be a life saver! Language Barrier is actually a thing here lol.

Now few months had passed, I am so annoyed with myself for not bringing the DLSR with me during the trip. I could've snapped better photos! Oh well, this is a lesson learned that I won't be too lazy next time. Hahahaha.

I hope you enjoyed this post! Til my next adventure! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment